Yo it’s Chris! I’m one of the original creators of the College Lighthouse! I started this site back in 2017 during my third year in college after noticing a big gap in college advice for first-gen college students.
I partnered with my friends Emiliano Del Villar and Byron Rosenthal who helped me build out the site before Byron decided to go to Georgetown to go become a doctor or something.
Since then, I’ve been growing this site to be the #1 resource for all college students, first-gen or otherwise!
Here you’ll learn how to:
- Get better grades and save more time: Learn how to study more effectively from students who did it themselves
- Maximize College: Talk to professors, land PAID internships, and build an awesome network!
- Become a Responsible Adult: Pay off your loans, learn how to manage your money, and plan for your future because The real world can be SO CONFUSING!
Check out my Most Popular Articles:
All my articles take weeks of research and revisions to write. But here are the ones that people seem to enjoy the most:
- How to Save Your Grades (even after failing every midterm and quiz)
- How To Talk to Your Professor (even if you have HELLA anxiety)
- How To Find a College Mentor (Guest Post from someone who has 3 CEOs as mentors)
Check out the YouTube Channel:
I’ve always wanted to make videos but didn’t really have the skills to do so. But now with some new expertise, I hoping to fill the gaps in college-related content on how to win at college through the lens of a first-gen student.
Right now I’m launching an interview series getting the insights and stories from first-gen college grads. You can watch the playlist on YouTube here:
Our most popular video to date is a Day In The Life Video at UCSB and hope to do more like it. Not just at UCSB but in colleges all over California.
If you want to see what else me and the team have made, check out the channel!
I plan to make more videos on:
- Campus Tours at the Best College Campus in California
- Interviews with first-gen students as they share their stories and offer their insights
- How to graduate and be successful after college with insights from students who have done it!
- Video Essays on Whether College is Still Worth It and The Future of Education in the US
- and More!
My Essential List for ALL Students:
Whenever I come across an idea that EVERYONE needs to know, I linked it down here. I truly believe education is the key to finding success in this crazy world and I’ve written in-depth articles on subjects I think are THE MOST ESSENTIAL TOPICS ON THE PLANET!
If you just graduated college or you’re in your early 20s, this list is for you:
- My Epic Article on How to Rock Launch your Personal Finances to the MOON!!! 🚀📈🌖
- How to Dominate your Time Management (Major KEY in College and also in Life)!
- More coming soon (probably networking like a boss or something)
If you have any recommendations on topics to cover, please let me know. I’m always looking for the next essential topic to break down. The more resources I have, the better I sleep at night knowing it’s out there helping students who were in the same shoes as I was.
Follow me on Twitter @ChrisLanderos_
So you made it this far and still want to know what it’s all for?
I made this site with the goal to support first gen college students on their journey to college and beyond. But it’s grown and so has my definition of what a first-gen student is.
The College Lighthouse was originally made to support first gen college students on their journey to college and beyond. Through my (hopefully practical) articles and videos, I want to offer the next generation of college students all the practical advice I wish we had. But really this site is made for any life-long learner trying to level up their learning.
Whether you’re trying to figure out how to talk to professors, struggle with standing out in lectures, or simply want some direction, The College Lighthouse has your back. Although this platform was made with first-gen, low-income, or underrepresented students in mind, I want all students who feel lost or stuck to reap the benefits of the resources I spent hours on making.
The site has 20+ detailed articles and videos, offering the next generation of college students all the practical advice I wish I had. My goal is to show other first gen college students that, despite all the uncertainty, they can still be successful at college.
I ultimately hope to bridge the academic gaps in education through our articles, tips, and videos on how to win at college. So stay tuned for more!
The College Lighthouse Team (basically just me lol)